Sunday, December 30, 2007

Meg Vs. Jenny

I've been reading lots of blogs written by authors, mainly focusing on two: Meg Cabot and Jenny Crusie. I think Jenny Crusie has a much more stylized writing process and there are lots of really good tips, but I sometimes feel really overhwelmed by her process and her tips. It's a relief to turn to Meg Cabot who says she has ADHD (or just ADD? I can't remember). I figure if she has ADD, her writing process can not be nearly as complicated as Ms. Crusie's, and that makes me feel better.

The new process I'm gonna try this time around: just writing it from beginning to end and not getting TOO hung up on acts and character arcs. I know how I want my character to arc and I'm just gonna write it and see how it goes. Revision can come later.


I wrote the first two scenes last week and I'm quite pleased with them. I'm settling in for the interview, where Mixie points the finger at several of the people in the victim's life. After that it's the family dinner where the romantic interest comes in.

I think once I hit my stride and get into the story, that will be fine, but right now I'm struggling to introduce him. Maybe it would be better to jump ahead and write one of the Whitney/Cole/Mixie scenes? Maybe that would help him seem more real? Or a scene like that? Not sure, but trying not to get bogged down. Just going to go into it and see how it goes.

Off to start the interview scene.

No comments: